Unschool-ology

Unschool-ology
Unschooling: Living Without School; Living Free Range-Freedom to Learn What One Wants When One Wants

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Week 20: Shapes

This week was shapes. I decided to start adding back in a song or finger play of some sort. They seem to be enjoyable for the Babies. However, I took out the movie because it is getting hard to find a show for every topic we do. I also added in a game. If I can find a game for us to play, weather it be on the computer, a video game on the tv, a board game, whatever, then we will play one sometime during the week.
Monday: We read "Colors and Shapes," a simple Dolly Parton Library book. We also made puppets from construction paper and popsicle sticks and did the play, "I am Susie Circle." I posted it at the bottom.

Tuesday: We played with tanagrams and the rubberband board making different shapes and dividing them up into smaller forms of the shape.

Wednesday: We just ate "shape food." We had round bologna, and a banana, which we cut up into shapes, triangle chips.

Thursday:We did a pre-writing activity. Samantha really enjoyed it. She traced some shapes, with my assistance of course, but after awhile she was able to do it with very little help. She was so proud of herself, which was a big change from the, "I just give up!" that she was saying at first.

Friday: I printed off a shape game, but we didn't do it yet. I want to laminate it. I am going this weekend to get stuff to laminate. I am also going to check out the dye cut machine at the library.

Next week is Numbers. Now that they are getting older, they are able to do more, and so my lesson plans can have more in them. I am very excited about that! I have decided to start printing off charts and flashcards, games, and such. We still aren't going to do a lot of worksheets. I still don't know what I think about them. I am going to stick to hands-on activities for the most part I think.



I am Suzy Circle.
I'm happy as can be.
I go round and round.
Can you draw me?

Sammy Square is my name.
My four sides are just the same.
Turn me around, I don't care.
I'm always the same.
I'm Sammy Square. 

I am Ollie Oval
A football shape is mine
Some people think that I'm an egg
But I think I look fine! 

I'm Tommy Triangle.
Look at me!
Count my sides.
One, two, three. 

Ricky Rectangle is my name.
My four sides are not the same.
2 are short and 2 are long.
Count my sides, come right along.
1, 2, 3, 4. 
I am Danny Diamond
I am like a kite
But I'm really just a square
Who's corners are pulled tight






I am pretty proud of these! 

Big hit! They were making them talk. 

I got these at the homeschool expo for Samantha. 


Not sure why my pictures look pixelated. 



No comments:

Post a Comment