Unschool-ology

Unschool-ology
Unschooling: Living Without School; Living Free Range-Freedom to Learn What One Wants When One Wants

Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Weekend Before

It's the weekend before school starts for Catoosa County. Wow. Monday is going to be a day of mixed feelings for me. Happiness we will be home together. But nervousness that we aren't going with the norm. Of course, who an I kidding, we are far from a mainstream family unit.

We have so busily been preparing Sam this year in a different way.

Last week I submitted her Letter of Intent to the school board.

And a few days prior we went to Southern Adventist University to sign Sam up for gymnastics! I couldn't believe this opportunity, to go to a huge college with an AMAZING gym and talented coaches-I have seen their training in action-and it is all made available to her and so affordable! Not to mention they have a  pool that we can swim in before or after class. Sam will have the chance to hang out with her friends and just relax and get some more physical activity in. I am so happy I looked at my options. I think it'll be right for us.

We have also made several shopping trips for clothes and "supplies." (She did get stuff like markers and a fancy pencil case. We also ordered some items like Matb Mat and Math War. We joined a few groups. Went to the Homeschool Expo. And made lots of calls about things like local homeschool events and special pricing for homeschoolers. (We get a huge discount at the Bodies Exhibit we are going to in September. It is still kind if pricey, but it would be way worse without the discount.)

We have been working on a Body Unit Study this Summer and will continue it, soon moving into fetal development, her favorite. We have also steadily been reading Charlotte's Web and doing lots with it. Next we begin Little House on the Prairie. Her choice.

Speaking of all this and school starting Monday, tonight was my Little Brother's open house. I Love to attend his stuff and stay involved in his life, so we went and I got that same feeling I always get when I go to that stuff. "So this is what it would be like?" Doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. No. Actually, I think it'd be cool to be one of the PTO leaders. One if the Moms who is always volunteering at the school. Everybody knows their face. And the kids think they are cool. Plus being involved in your child's education, what's better than that? It'd be exciting to get Sam ramped up for the carnival and what not. I heard a lot of parents saying things like, "Wow! Your class looks like it will be interesting this year! Your teacher seems so nice!" And it is weird to think we *don't plan* to ever send Sam to school. (God may have other plans.) But, despite how exciting school might be, it just, it doesn't feel so wrong for her to not be going.

Our lives are so adjusted to the outside norm that I only ever realize it isn't considered "normal" until people feel the need to remind us we are "odd."

Recycling is never a trouble. It is as normal to me as taking the trash out now. Eating organic, it's cake. Our budget is adjusted. Our grocery list is adjusted. And our bodies are adjusted. And our educational choice has really been in place since Sam was 2. The only reason this year seems so different is because this is the year that WOULD be a big deal. It would be the year she would start school.

I will wrap up this post by saying, this weekend is where we cross the threshold from , "No. She doesn't go to daycare." To "No. She doesn't go to school."

Here are some pictures of what we have been doing:

No comments:

Post a Comment