Unschool-ology

Unschool-ology
Unschooling: Living Without School; Living Free Range-Freedom to Learn What One Wants When One Wants

Monday, May 16, 2011

Week Seven: Hot Climates

Ya I am going to be honest, this was an off week with the lessons because I had another unit planned, Dessert, but decided not to do that without going over other hot climates like the Savannah and the Jungle. The Savannah is kind of hard to find activities for because every time I type it in, Google thinks I am talking about Savannah, GA. And it gives me a list of activities to do with children in Savannah. Anyway, this week was special, however, because my little brother joined in the fun with us. 

Monday: We read the book "Cool Time Song," another book she got from the Dolly Parton Library, about the Savannah. It has great illustrations. That is why I Love the Dolly Parton Library. They send you such an array of books that they will get to experience all types of writing and illustration styles, things I would have otherwise never picked out. 
Tuesday: The activity I had planned was ruined. We were going to play in the sand and talk about Desert animals, but when I got her sand box, I saw that it was flooded from the storms awhile back. So instead we crushed up some vanilla wafers to symbolize sand, and then we used animals crackers as the animals. (Animal Crackers have camels and such in them. We were going to do gummy lizards and try to find something for cactuses, but it was sort of last minute, and I was not going to walk BOTH the babies down the road to the store. By the way, this activity, not the brightest one. Didn't really turn out great.

Wednesday:We made rain sticks. The actually turned out pretty nice. We just used markers to decorate them and they decided on popcorn and beans to fill them with. 

Here is a link: http://www.ehow.com/how_15892_make-rain-stick.html

Thursday: We made frozen chocolate covered bananas. They weren't able to do much to help, but they enjoyed watching me make them and then eating them. They didn't turn out looking as well as I thought they would, but the recipe called for 8 bananas, and I only had one that I split in half, so I tried to divide the recipe, and I don't think I had enough chocolate to melt right on the stove...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/chocolate-dipped-frozen-bananas-recipe/index.html

Friday: No activity. Couldn't find a good show. 


Next week is Temperate Climates. We are going to start making bi-weekly trips to the library I believe. I really want Samantha to get familiar with the library, to go to story time, to know the people who work there, and to really LOVE reading and look forward to going. So I think we are going to do that and while we are there, I want to get books on the next two weeks' topics so that I don't have to buy books that she may or may not even like. 


I just thought this was a cute picture.



This REALLY did not turn out right.



The shorter rain stick is Samantha-Anne's.




No comments:

Post a Comment