Unschool-ology

Unschool-ology
Unschooling: Living Without School; Living Free Range-Freedom to Learn What One Wants When One Wants

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Homeschool Discouragement

I have heard it happens, the discouragement and the self doubt, but I didn't think it would happen so soon! Samantha is only 4, and technically shouldn't even start what the school system considers pre-k until this September. But here, in my mind, I am like, "Oh my gosh, does she know enough?!" "Can she count high enough?" "She hasn't memorized the months of the year yet!" "Would she be better off in school?"

I am not sure why I care so much. One of the reasons I had decided to homeschool Samantha is because I wanted to choose what I thought was important enough for her to learn. And I wanted her to learn at her own pace, and through life. But lately, every time I hear that my little brother learned something I secretly wonder if maybe we should delay the focus on the unit studies and do more rote memorization, workbooks, and "circle time." Deep down I know that isn't what is right for our family. I like to focus on Bible study, nature, lots of getting involved with the community, learning about our history. Being "fast" at addition will come as she needs it in real life situations. Knowing what day of the week it is, will come with her natural curiosities for what day we do what and which days she sleeps in our bed. (The Weekend.) :)

I guess I just need some support and encouragement. As her friends transition into school it is hard to not feel alone.  It is starting to feel more real. And I know this September when she doesn't get out of the car and walk into her new class, that is when it will hit me full force. We will officially be considered homeschoolers. It is kind of scary, but I know it shouldn't be. People homeschooled/unschooled their kids for years before compulsory attendance. As her Mom, I will make sure she knows what she needs to know. And our entire family is there to help feed her interests and curiosities along the way. :) I just need to step back and see how much she has learned so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment